Saturday, April 20, 2013

BADI BHABHI



Posting a new series called BADI BHABH starting today. It started as a Facebook post so on occasion I will include the comments to maintain continuity.

"Badi" in Hindi means "older" or "senior"or "larger"  (Fem.)
"Bhabhi" in Hindi means "brother's wife".


This story is mainly fictional, with a few facts woven in here or there for realism. We all know at least one or two women who sound a whole lot like Badi Bhabhi (BB) so don't email me asking me how I know your Aunt Chameli or when I met your neighbor Mrs Kapoor. Badi Bhabhi is not based on any one individual. She just represents a certain set of attitudes that I have encountered in several different people. They all belong to a certain school of thought.

So here goes, BADI BHABHI (Episode I)


BADI    BHABHI


Sonali Gurpur
called a few friends and acquaintance to wish them a Happy New Year. Most folks are doing well so God's in His Heaven and all's right with the world, but for a few exceptions. I heard this sad sad tale from a friend who had to attend a funeral over the weekend. Someone they knew well back in India had passed away.
January 6 at 9:09am ·  · Like · 

Sonali Gurpur 
He was a high school teacher and lacrosse coach who had taken his team to NYC for some special training and was sightseeing when he got run over by a bus.When my friend and her husband went to give their condolence the widow, 55, all distraught said,"Bhale yeh bhi koi baat hui. Life insurance bhi nahi thi. Khud khushi kar lete saalon pehele. Itne saal maine bilkul deformed admi ke saath zindagi guzaari hai. Physics aur Math aur lacross ke alawa unko kuch nahin aata tha. Logon ne mujhko poem likhke bheje meri jawani mein. Inse ek Valentines Day ki card bhi nahin mili. Woh kya kehte hain, unki right brain deformed thi. Aur toh aur, even one ball was smaller than the other."

{TRANSLATION : Would you believe this ? He had no life insurance! He could have thrown himself under a bus a long tme ago. Just imagine, I spent all those years with a deformed man. He knew nothing beyond Physics and Math and Lacrosse. When I was young boys used to write me poems. He never even gave me a Valentine's Day card. His right brain was deformed. Even one ball was smaller than the other."} 
January 6 at 9:17am · Like



Daman Sahni Oh dear.
January 6 at 9:25am · Like


Sonali Gurpur The deceased had a Phd in Physics and had played Ranjhi cricket so he picked up lacrosse playing with his kids and got all his certificates so he could coach. I grieve for not just his soul but for the life he must have lived each day for the last 30 years.
January 6 at 9:37am · Like



Subroto Banerjee oh gosh!
January 6 at 10:28am · Like


Sonali Gurpur That's life.
January 6 at 12:57pm · Like




No comments: